Bishop Cockin Church Centre Atta (BCCC Atta) was established in 1971 and named after the first Bishop of Owerri Diocese, The Rt. Revd. George Eyles Irwin Cockin of blessed memory by Bishop Benjamin Nwankiti. Bishop Gorge Cockin was consecrated in 1959 as the first bishop of the Diocese of Owerri, Anglican Communion in the Parish church of All Saints Egbu which later became the Cathedral of the then Diocese of Owerri.
Bishop Cockin went back to Britain as a result of the war between Nigeria and Biafra and he was succeeded in 1968 by The Rt. Rev. Benjamin Chukwuemeka Nwankiti who was consecrated Bishop the same year as the first indigenous Bishop of the Diocese of Owerri and later became Archbishop of Province II of Church of Nigeria Anglican Communion.
BCCC will always be associated with the late Archibishop Nwankiti who passed away on Wednesday, 24th November, 2004 at the age of 76. He was interred at the magnificent Cathedral of Transfiguration of Our Lord (CATOL) Owerri which was one of his achievements, on the 15th of December, 2004.
Ikeduru Diocese will always remember the late Archbishop Nwankiti who began his career in priesthood at St. Andrew’s Church, Obosi near Onitsha, Anambra State, where he was ordained on December 21, 1952 by Bishop Cecil J. Patterson.
Bishop Nwankiti dedicated BCCC as a place of withdrawal for all who wants rest from the pressures of worldly life, refreshment, and reunion with God and man for all Christians no matter their labels, and also a leadership and spiritual training ground for Church workers.
The Centre is surrounded by beautiful gardens, lovely trees and plants with enticing flowers and fruits all year round. The serenity of the Centre is only disturbed by the birds singing and enjoying on the fruits and flowers in the gardens.
There are facilities for seminars, conferences, workshops, short-term courses and retreats. It also provides memorable honeymoon and hostel accommodations. The centre offers a genuine welcome to everyone, no matter their color, creed, or country who cares for a place of relaxation, rest and spiritual revival.
BCCC is located at Atta Ikeduru in Imo State, the Head Quarters of the newly created Diocese of Ikeduru, Anglican Communion. It is about 20 kilometers from Owerri Imo State capital along Owerri – Okigwe road and about 1 kilometer from the centre of Eke Atta market.